Lehmann-UMT GmbH has made a name for itself worldwide in the development and manufacture of equipment for polar research. It is the only company in Germany which designs and builds these expedition sledge. Well above 100 units have been delivered to customers in Japan, China, the USA, Chile, the UK and India since production started. Long-term partners include the Alfred-Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Germany, the British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge and the team from the expedition "The coldest journey".
Hitched to a tractor vehicle (e.g. PistenBully), the cargo sledge are used for transporting the following over snow and ice:
• 20' and 10' ISO standard containers, tank units including 20' ISO standard bodies,
which can be locked using Twist-Lock fasteners
• Bulk cargo, simple handling thanks to the attached lashing eyes,
exchangeable stake racks are separate available as an option
An optionally available platform extension allows the useful area on the sledge to be extended for transporting larger cargo items.
For use in forestry, a special cargo sledge for wood has been developed which cuts down on soil damage.
• Payload: depending on version - max. 6, 15 or 25 t
• Tare weight: depending on version - 3100 - 3700 kg
• Application temperature: Use of a special steel and welding process permits
use at temperatures down to -60°C.
• Up to three heavy-load sledge can be connected together.
Stake racks of varying heights (e.g. 60, 100 and 120 cm) are optionally available, as is a platform extension.
In addition to the cargo sledge, Lehmann-UMT also produces other polar research equipment which is developed in-house:
• Lifting skids for polar stations prevent the stations sinking into the snow
• Jacking tower supports the segments of the polar stations during lifting of the skids
• Shifting devices for research stations weighing 12 t
For further information about special machine building, please refer to our brochure or contact us in person. You can use the following contact possibilities for this. We look forward to presenting you with our offer.
Dimension sheet - 15t
Dimension sheet - 25t